Cancun Holidays – Top Attractions and Things to Do
If you are thinking of an adventurous beach destination that also offers you an insight into a very old civilization, then Cancun might be one of your options. A city in Mexico, often touted as the Mexican Caribbean, Cancun is located in the state of Quintana Roo, on the Yucatan Peninsula, facing the Caribbean Sea and forming one of the easternmost points in the country.
Key Facts about Cancun
Cancun is one of the most visited tourist cities in Mexico, although it came into existence only in 1970. Today, over half a million people call it home and its international airport is the second busiest airport in the country. It is also home to world’s second longest coral reef system. There can be many more key facts and important things to know about Cancun, but one thing you would certainly like to know is how the city is laid out.
First-time visitors on Cancun holidays must know that the city is divided into two distinct zones – the hotel area and the city center. The hotel area is located on an island separated from the mainland and connected by two bridges in the North and the South. A third possible zone can be the Ecological Reserve that extends to cover other parts of the Yucatan Peninsula as well.
You can’t take it lightly when you are heading for a hurricane-prone destination. Although large hurricanes are rare, they have struck the city and caused a negative impact on its rapidly rising tourism industry. The most devastating of these was Hurricane Wilma that hit the coastal strip in 2005 and obliterated many of Cancun top attractions and famous beaches.
However, that doesn’t mean you should panic unnecessarily. You only need to check weather forecast and keep a track of the current Cancun weather. For any eventuality, buy suitable travel insurance, be prepared to cancel your travel to Cancun at any time and have a backup vacation.
If you are asking about the best time to visit, then any time is good if sun, sea and sand are what you are after. Less adventurous people might like to avoid late June when the sun gets really hot and burning. Also, the probability of a hurricane strike is more in late summer and autumn. On the flip side, you are likely to get some really good off season deals on Cancun holidays, especially on flights and hotels.
Plan, Book and Take Off
All set to travel to Cancun – search for the best deal before you fly. The peak season is from December to April when tourists throng this tropical paradise to enjoy a milder sun and a cooler-than-average weather. It is only rarely that you are offered with a bargain deal for flights and hotels during the peak season. However, if you are prudent enough to book Cancun holidays several months in advance, good discounts on airfares and accommodation charges can’t be ruled out.
Comparing Cancun travel deals from competing airlines can be a possible way out to fly and enjoy holidays cheaply. While searching it is often better to look for all-inclusive offers from reliable and well-experienced travel agents only. Cancun hotels can be very expensive; so try to club several products into one convenient package. Keep your option open and look for the flexibility to add or remove components as per your need. A tailor-made travel solution can be the answer to affordable Cancun holidays.
If you really like to take challenges, then plan to visit the city between June and November when the traffic is the lowest. Airlines will be willing to offer you a less-than-average price. The same will be the case with Cancun hotels. Staying in the city center can be another good way to keep your cost to the minimum as the hotels here are more economical that their counterparts in the designated ‘hotel zone’. Contact a trustworthy travel agency, such as Hoodaki, and explore your options.
Top Things to Do in Cancun
Cancun attractions are varied – from pristine beaches to enriching tours of Mayan archaeological wonders, to world-class vacation amenities. Not sure what to see or do in Cancun? Read on to find out some of the top things to do in Cancun here.
• Head for the Seashore:
One of the top attractions in Cancun is the Caribbean Sea caressing the powdery white-sand beaches with its turquoise waters. Go sunbathing and laze around for as long as you wish, watching the sea waves and taking in the beautiful surroundings. If you are here for some thrills and actions, then choose from an array of things to do in Cancun. Scuba diving, jet skiing, parasailing, snorkeling, kayaking, fishing, wind-surfing, and numerous other water-based activities are available here.
• Take a Trip to Chichen Itza: Cancun is also home to many well-known Mayan archeological sites. Visiting these sites will obviously be among the top things to do in Cancun. The most famous among these is Chichen Itza, which is located in the state of Yucatan, just at a distance of 196.5 km from Cancun. A one-way trip should not be more than two hours, so you can easily plan a day trip to Chichen Itza and marvel at the famous El Castillo pyramid. If you ever wonder what to see in Cancun, probably nothing would match the sight of Chichen Itza.
• Drive Down to Tulum: One of the best-preserved coastal Maya sites, Tulum is located even closer than Chichen Itza. The distance from Cancun is 131.1 km and it takes only one and a half hour to reach Tulum by a car. Explore one of the famous Cancun attractions, learn a great deal about a lost civilization, and try to unearth the mystery surrounding the Mayans. Enrich your knowledge with Cancun holidays.
• Relish Mexican Cuisine: Everything seen and done, now what to do in Cancun? Food lovers will never ask this question as they know they are home to one of the most popular food styles in the world. Find a restaurant in your budget and try some of the best-known Mexican dishes, such as tortilla, taco, mole, tamale and torta, and also a few of Yucatan’s regional flavors, such as pozol and cochinita pilbi. The city center is filled with restaurants serving Mexican, seafood and continental. The city can even boast many fine dining restaurants as well. Trying Mexican cuisine has always been one of the top things to do in Cancun.
Plan a great trip and see all top attractions in Cancun. Enjoy the various things to do in Cancun and come back with an unforgettable experience. Don’t forget to share your experiences in the comment section if you already had Cancun holidays in recent years.
Latest posts by (see all)
- Nine Famous Roman Amphitheatres around the World - September 29, 2014
- 9 Magnificent Palaces in the World - September 26, 2014
- Five Famous Outdoor Ice Rinks around the World - September 25, 2014
- 12 of the Longest Suspension Bridges in the World - September 24, 2014
- World’s 7 Best Aquariums to See Sharks - September 23, 2014